Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: What Teachers Make!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What Teachers Make!

    WHAT DO TEACHERS MAKE

    The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

    One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.
    He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option
    in life was to become a teacher?"

    He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers:
    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

    To stress his point he said to another guest, "You're a teacher,
    Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

    Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You
    want to know what I make? She paused for a second, then began...

    "Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
    I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.
    I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents
    can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

    You want to know what I make?" She paused again and looked at each and
    every person at the table.

    "I make kids wonder.
    I make them question.
    I make them criticize.
    I make them apologize and mean it.
    I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
    I teach them to write and then I make them write.
    I make them read, read, read.
    I make them show all their work in math.
    I make my students from other countries learn everything they need
    to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
    I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

    I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the
    Flag, because we live in the United States of America .
    Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they
    were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed
    in life."?

    Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.

    "Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold
    my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant. You want to know
    what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  2. #2
    Inactive Member TPLLTTP_PV10's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2005
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    Thanks 4 this post. I want my wife to read this because she made a decision to quit nursing school and become a teacher and she is always saying she is sorry she will not be making the money she would make as a nurse. I always tell her it's not about the money it's about having a feeling of accomplishment and doing what makes you happy. I beleive when she hears this from someone elses point of view she will see i really mean what i said. This is an awesome post, and i would like to say thanks to all the teachers out there that get our youth ready for the future..... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/getsmile.tmp007816300.gif[/img]
    All pitchers are liars and cribabies.=YOGI BERRA
    It helps if the hitter thinks you're a little crazy.=Nolan Ryan

  3. #3
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    Teachers pay is not that bad IMO. Considering they only work 9 months a year not including snow days. Its a respectable job with respectable pay. Just like about any occupation though, the argument for increased pay can be made with validity.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    Be a teacher for a while and see if you feel the same way.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    Granted, teacher pay has improved by leaps and bounds. I began in 1969 with $5700. When I retired 5 years ago, I was making 9 times that figure. However, given the same amount of education involved, training, and retraining, and the amount of stress involved, it is low compared to other professions. Working at a physical labor job, is not quite as stressful. Before anyone jumps on this, I realize that many other professions are in the same boat. Health workers, police, fire, and the other service professions.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    You are preaching to the choir. I guess arguments could be made for all of our professions though. Overworked and underpaid. That's the American way.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  7. #7
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    2 points, the DOC deals with trash , a lot of which has nothing to lose and the teachers deal with the future, the Army and Marines, well that makes 4. I think they are all underpaid.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    I think teaching is one of the most crucial and most important jobs in the country. But all teachers seem to have a chip on their shoulder as far as money and I can't seem to figure out why. I dont think any of them actually work an 8 hour day, forgive me if Im wrong on this but I think most have a lunch hour, a PE hour, etc... They only work 3/4 of the year, they have state benefits and retirement. I just dont get where all the frustration comes from. Ask the guy in the ditch in the freezing cold or the blazing heat who works for the water department 8+ hours a day 12 months out of the year about salaries and benefits and I would imagine he would swith in a heart beat. Please dont get me wrong here, the only point Im trying to make is that its never as bad as it seems, and like most occupations, everybody probably deserves more than what they get.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Teachers Make!

    I'm not complaining about my teaching salary- i'm pretty happy with what i make. However I wanted to state that I am a teacher and I do not get a "lunch hour" or a "pe hour". I get about 22 minutes for lunch. By the time I have the students out of the room and have gone to get my lunch I usually have fifteen minutes of it left. Also the "PE hour" you speak of is for elementary school teachers and that isn't a daily occurence. Most elementary school teachers do not have a planning period and that is the only break they have from the kids all day. (And again in some places that isn't a daily occurence)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •